Here are some of the audio-visuals from the fundraiser concert for VONY, the organization I am helping to build as their teaching artist from three weeks ago. The conference was a great success, we had lots of real talk between activists, youth mentors, artists, art therapists about ways of improving children's confidence in their creative skills and about new ways of nurturing talent in kids. I had a chance to display my superhero feline samurais as the artist-in-residence of VONY (shout out to Melo-X and Claude "Visionary" Dary for repping them).

The show following the conference was OFF THE HOOK...Honey Larochelle, Jesse Boykins III, 88-Keys and BILAL were all amazing. I am a visual artist, but music, especially live music takes me to a higher level of inspiration... I am never afraid to tell my colleagues how much their work moves me. Jesse and Bilal (who actually was a mentor of and gave voice lessons to Jesse a few years ago) are two of the most powerful singers working today in my view--- I recommend everyone checking them out at their live performances. Check Jesse's blog for some pics from the show. I didn't get a chance to record 88-Keys performance due to memory shortage, but all I can say is that man was on fire!


And let's not forget the band THE CYPHER was CRAZY! My friend Daru (ex-Slum Village, one of the illest drummers in the city) on drums, Igmar Thomas on trumpet, Louis Cato on bass, Yukion keys, James Casey on sax, they were really vibing with Bilal, and had everyone moving by the end of the show

JESSE BOYKINS III at VONY Benefit Show, NYC from Lichiban EV [Electric Vision] on Vimeo.


Check out Daru's RUSIC TV episodes of the event. For more on DARU, visit his blog here.



0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top