Hailing from outerspace via Paris, WALTER MECCA is one of my favorite artists from France (the other one happens to be Walter's good friend, ONRA whom I recently interviewed here as well). I first heard of him on a Biozone sampler I found a couple of years ago -an another dope Weirdata project that featured Jessica Pepper, Metal Ninja, Sidy/Stairway to Nutopia, Brice Torres , K?MF along with Walter. I had a plan to post this interview with him way before his new album dropped this April, but life got super busy, so I had to wait until now to put it out.

Walter Mecca is one of the spearheads of the new music movement that's happening in Paris. His vintage futuristic sound brings the vibes from the era of 80's electro pop, boogie, funk and synth rock, video games and martial art flicks into mind. The new album is highly visual & cinematic- I wasn't surprised to find out that it was inspired by retro ninja & horror movie soundtracks (and maybe some aerobic workout tapes) as well as new artists like Dâm Funk, though he definitely has his own galaxy of sensual sci-fi sound. Walter has been pseudonymed as the "VHS King", since the exclusive packaging for TONNERRE includes retro videos on a vhs tape and music on a Tonnerre USB key. The album is completely amazing, made me want to go check out what's happening in Paris in person. I heard that the exclusive VHS package already sold out, but the digi version is available on weirdata. Don't sleep on him.

Supaa baad' - this is my favorite track of the album...probably the sexiest tune I've heard in a long time...
Walter-Mecca-Supaa baad by zenith01
Lichiban: Where are you from? Could you tell me a little bit about your background & musical influences? When did you decided to do music for a living?
Walter Mecca: Hi Lichi, my name is Walter "Dal-gren" Mecca, a MC/music producer/videomaker from Paris, France. I started in 2005 with a first project called the "Love Message", and then released the "Cut Basic LP" in 2008 on Favorite recordings. Now, the new "Tonnerre" release on Weirdata/BioZone Records, which comes with an exclusive Vhs/Usb Format Pack. Yeah, I have so many influences, life & old music from outerspace, hip-hop, electronic, psy-rock...old movies, open-minded people, good food... My parents gave me a big musical influence, jazz-rock/fusion & music from early 80'... I started with hip-hop music in 90' and now I don't have any limit..(laugh)
Listen to the Tonnere Teaser



L: I'm really feeling your new album...tell me a little bit about it? What was involved in the making?
WM: Spaced out samples, vintage synths and funky talkbox are the main ingredients to this outstanding project.The exclusive package includes videos on a vhs tape and music on a Tonnerre usb key. Tonnerre is my new album and it incorporates a wide part of what I'm able to do...Retro-Futurist music, I took one year working in my studio for the album and I've lost one teeth with my talkbox...
L: What would you like people to take away after listening to the album?
WM: I want people go to unexplored sides of the brain.

L: I just had an interview with your music collabo partner, ONRA. It looks like you guys have been spearheading the revival of the space-boogie-funk-electro sound in France. How is the music scene in Paris? Are people open to your sound?
WM: I think Paris is open...the music scene is good,we have some good listeners here. A lot of bullshit too, but it's like everywhere...(laugh)

L: The secret ingredient...
WM: Nothing special, Walter is just a Dream.

L: What's your arsenal? Favorite instrument?
WM: Love my Atari 520 st with vintage synthesizers, just put talkbox on it...

L: What's your creative process?
WM: Turn on the sound & Time Travel.

L: Time & space traveling ?Do you practice it:)
WM: Sure! and you too!

L: Haha, yes that's right...If you had a superhero alterego, what kind of attributes & supernatural powers would he have?
WM: I think Green Lantern is the good one.

L: Inspirations...
WM: I listen a lot of prog/electronic music...some 80's pop stuff too...and horror & ninja movies all day everyday.

L: Next project?
WM: Next project is the Metal Ninja - Final Duel Lost Tapes On Weirdata, VHS/USB classic...Dal-gren - Cut Basic 2...
L: Any plans to tour in the US?
WM: For sure...need to come soon with the all Weirdata Family from France...

L: Dream collaboration?
WM: Zappa.

L: Could you put me on your three of your favorite albums of 2009?
WM: Me'shell Ndegeocello, Seledyn, Dam Funk.

L: Define success...
WM: For me the biggest success is when you found yourself and ready to show and receive some Love all over the world.

L: Shoutouts
Big up to you Lichiban & the blog, To all my weirdata Family, Metal ninja, Nsdos, Onra, AITF, Pain o chokolat and to all people from France to the Infinite.
L: Thanks!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top